Midge & Co is happy that spring appears to finally be here! Spring is the prime selling season and as a real estate broker, I am frequently asked by sellers how they should stage the outside of a house when listing it in the market. The answer is that first impressions count big time! Curb appeal should not be underestimated, if a potential buyer isn’t impressed with the outside of your home they are less likely to be impressed with the inside. Some buyers pass up home that are beautiful inside without even looking at them because they didn’t like the look of the home from the outside.
Our rock star Midge & Co agents are ready to show off your listing and would like to share our check list for increasing curb appeal:
- Clean your windows, inside and out.
- When you’re home staging for spring, you want to bring color to your front door as soon as possible as it can be a gray and rainy season. Place new, colorful doormats in front of every exterior door, including the door from the garage into the house. Potted seasonal flowers are also an easy way to add color. If necessary, paint exterior doors and garage doors.
- Pressure wash your house; if your exterior paint needs touch ups, do them… if your siding needs repairs, do them… if your storm door needs replaced, you get the hint…
- If you have a front porch or patio add chairs & a side table.
- Rake & remove leaves, sticks, & yard debris.
- Make sure that all exterior lighting has fresh light bulbs. If necessary, install new outside lighting matching the style of your home.
- If your house numbers are dingy or barely visible, spray paint them in a color that contrasts the house color and gives them a fresh look.
- Re-seed bare patches on your lawn, and once gardening season begins, place decorative edging around your garden beds and make a big impact by mulching & weeding flower beds.
You may be intimidated by this checklist but if you are motivated to sell checking them off the list is well worth the effort. The way your house looks on the outside really can make the difference between a quick sale and a house that sits on the market. Contact us today to discuss the about the “Midge & Co advantage” and get a sign in your front yard.